Re: [Orgmode] org-babel with R, scrolling an inferior ESS process

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-babel with R, scrolling an inferior ESS process
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 10:39:08 -0700

Erik Iverson <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>> Please do let us know of any other improvements we can make to using
>> org-babel with ESS. Good integration with ESS has been one of our aims
>> from the beginning.
>
> I will let you know as I continue using it.  The ultimate improvement
> IMO would be some sort of good multi-mode support, so that things
> between #+begin_src/#+end_src would be fontified according to their
> mode. And when I, for example, move into an R source section in my
> org-mode buffer, all ESS key bindings would work.
>
> I have read a couple recent threads about getting functionality like
> this via two-mode-mode for instance, but they have some quirks that
> make it unusable for me.  Are you and Eric working on anything like
> this?  I have been investigating different options and will let you
> know if I find anything promising!

Hi Erik,

This is a very popular feature request, but as far as I know it is not
possible due to limitations ingrained fairly deep into the core of
Emacs.  To my knowledge the best such mode for embedding multiple major
modes in a single buffer is MuMaMo-mode [1] which has been applied to
source-code blocks in Org-mode buffers [2], but as mentioned in that
thread, it's far from stable.

Best -- Eric

> Thanks!
> Erik