[Orgmode] Re: [org-clock] default clock for non-org-mode buffers

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [org-clock] default clock for non-org-mode buffers
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 10:09:23 +0100

Hi Bernt,

Bernt Hansen wrote:
> I have a couple of tasks I clock in regularly from anywhere using f9-o and
> f9-m (for organization and mail). These clock in the task based on ID.
>
> All of my remember buffers start the clock using the remember hooks.  I
>   - start remember
>   - clock in via hook
>   - enter stuff
>   - C-c C-c
>   - clock out via hook
>
> This remember task is now in the list. I have F11 bound to functions to make
> clocking in and visiting clocked items easy.

I've just tried your process, and I find it really, really nice.

Though, I have a few questions about it, or about how I can do to make it
better suit my needs or particularities.

Let me explain.

I clock-in the task "Read Emails and News". I find a nice post, from which I
wanna keep a copy (it was the case with yours, for example), at least of some
part of it. I select a region, and call remember with the template:

            ("Org-mode" ?o
             "* %^{Title}\n\n  %i\n\n  From the %a"
             "~/Public/Documentation-on-Org-mode.txt"
             "Documentation on Org-mode")

(BTW, `.txt' files are Org-mode files in my config)

What is annoying now is that the clock will be stopped for task "Emails and
News" while I really have not changed of activity. And I don't want to clock
in anything special for the simple copy I made of a news posting. Here, I
would expect the started clocked to go on as if nothing happened -- ignoring
the "clock switching stuff" for that particular remember template.

This is completely different if I am interrupted by the phone (client call) or
by a mail which requires a long response to a client (and needs to be
correctly tracked). For these, I will also make use of the remember templates,
such as:

            ("Note" ?n
             "* %U %?\n\n  %i\n  From the %a"
             nil
             "Notes")

and I want the standard "Read Emails and News" clock to be temporarily
stopped, while the call will be tracked appropriately for a client project.

So, is there a way to merge those 2 points of view into one functionality?

Hope my text is clear enough for you all to understand what I mean.

Best regards and Thanks for having shared!

Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban