[Orgmode] org-babel interpreter prompts

From: Rick Moynihan
Subject: [Orgmode] org-babel interpreter prompts
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 10:52:08 +0000

Hi all,

I'm wondering if it's possible to get org-babel to output the
interpreter prompts and sessions, as if each expression in the src
block had been entered into the repl... e.g. something like:

#+begin_src ruby :output repl
10 + 10
puts "hello world"
[1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10].map do |i|
  i * i
end
#+end_src

Yielding:

#+results
: irb(main):001:0> 10 + 10
: => 20
: irb(main):002:0> puts "Hello World"
: Hello World
: => nil
: irb(main):003:0> [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10].map do |i|
: irb(main):004:1*   i * i
: irb(main):005:1> end
: => [1, 4, 9, 16, 25, 36, 49, 64, 81, 100]
: irb(main):006:0>

The rational for this is that it lets you provide examples of being at
the prompt and write better documentation.  I'd imagine that in this
mode, you wouldn't want the original src block to be rendered, rather
just the output as if it had been run interactively.

I'd personally find this useful and would like to see this for ruby,
shell and clojure modes...  Though it'd be nice to have it work for
all the other languages and modes that support a REPL or interactive
prompt too.

--
Rick Moynihan
http://twitter.com/RickMoynihan