Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-agenda-files variable

From: Stephan Schmitt
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-agenda-files variable
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 12:45:57 +0100

Hi Andrea,

Also sprach andrea:
> Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> writes:
>> - Carsten
>
> I'm really sorry you're right, I should write a sort for this kind of
> questions, I always forget important details...
> Anyway
>
> emacs-version: "23.1.50.1"
> org-version:   "6.33trans"
>

> The code for the hook is this

> (defun org-add-eventually()
>   "Adding a file to org-agenda when saved"
>   (interactive)
>   (if (string= major-mode "org-mode")
>       (org-agenda-file-to-front)))
>
> (add-hook 'before-save-hook 'org-add-eventually)
>
> And finally I have different operating systems, linux on the other
> machine and osx 10.6 on this one.
>
> I'm not sure when the filename gets added in the "wrong format", but
> maybe it's my fault, I visit the absolute path.
> Anyway if I can force somehow to only use relative to home paths in
> emacs somehow it would be also fine.

I think the function 'abbreviate-file-name' can help you.  Find more
information about file names in this info node:

(Elisp) Top > Files > File Names

> By the way when I open the agenda all the org-files are visited and I
> end up with a lot of buffers, is that normal?

If you mean all the org files listed in 'org-agenda-files':
That's normal and necessary for all the possible interaction in the agenda
buffer.  But you can type 'x' in the agenda:

x runs the command org-agenda-exit, which is an interactive compiled
Lisp function in `org-agenda.el'.

It is bound to x, <menu-bar> <Agenda> <Exit and Release Buffers>.

(org-agenda-exit)

Exit agenda by removing the window or the buffer.
Also kill all Org-mode buffers which have been loaded by `org-agenda'.
Org-mode buffers visited directly by the user will not be touched.

hth,
        Stephan