Re: [Orgmode] Smart(er) word wrapping with org-mode and visual-line-mode

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Smart(er) word wrapping with org-mode and visual-line-mode
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 18:24:16 +0100

On Jan 6, 2010, at 4:25 PM, Martin Pohlack wrote:

Hi Matthew,

Matthew Dempsky wrote:
While playing around with the different options for handling word
wrapping in org-mode, I decided to instead hack an extension that
improves visual-line-mode's word wrapping when used in conjunction
with org-mode.  In particular, the mrd-org-smartwrap minor mode
automatically sets the `wrap-prefix' property on all section headlines and plain list entries so that visual-line-mode's native word wrapping
looks identical to what careful and continual usage of TAB and M-q
should produce, without any of the quirks of using auto-fill-mode or
refill-mode.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else found it useful / interesting.

I just tried this out (only for headlines up to now) and it seems to
work great.

Are there any plans to integrate something like this into upstream?
Especially the wrapping of headlines would enable extensive tag usage.

I have been thinking about that, but not arrived at a conclusion. One thing is the interaction with org-indent-mode. That mode already does the wrapping for headlines correctly by adding `wrap-prefix', and it will look really good if you set the variable word-wrap to t. However, the showstoppers are the following:

1. I cannot bring myself to turn off truncate-lines, because it
   messes up tables and code examples badly, and these are major
   components of my work.  I have actually put in a feature
   request into Emacs for a property `truncate-line', to be
   able to control this line by line.  I got positive feedback,
   but I don't know when any of the developers finds time
   to implement it - I cannot do that myself.

2. Visual-line-mode is also a no go for me, I use keyboard
   macros a lot and need to be able to rely on the fact that
   [down] move the cursor into the next physical line.

So I am not sure how to handle this.  We could turn Matthews
code into a module that users can turn on if they wish.

- Carsten

Cheers,
Martin Pohlack