Re: [Orgmode] Beamer support in Org-mode

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Beamer support in Org-mode
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 17:09:33 +0100

On Nov 26, 2009, at 7:29 PM, Darlan Cavalcante Moreira wrote:

I usually make my presentations in beamer as below.
,----
| \begin{frame}
|   \frametitle{This is the frametitle}
|   \begin{itemize}
|     \item Some information
|     \begin{itemize}
|       \item Some information in a subitem
|     \end{itemize}
|     \item more information
| \item more information \note[item]{This is a note about this item}
|   \end{itemize}
| \end{frame}
`----

Therefore, I think a simple solution is just writing the \note command directly in org that would then be passed to beamer. In org-mode the same slide would be

,----
| * This is the frametitle
|  - Some information
|    - Some information in a subitem
|  - more information
|  - more information \note[item]{This is a note about this item}
`----

This avoids cluttering the org file and since the item (including the note) will probably span more then one line, then just leaving notes like this will allow hiding everything with the outline capabilities of org-mode. If a subtree is
used this would probably not be possible.

The "item" option in the note command is used in beamer to number the notes (I
myself always want this).

Of course that if everyone else like to put the notes at the end of the frame then a subtree with all the notes makes sense. Beamer does not impose where the notes should be inside the frame and I can reeducate myself to put them inside a subtree, but I'd like to leave the notes near the items they are related to, if
possible.

I still don't have any better ideas than this to represent notes
in Org for beamer presentations.  Just writing \noe{...} as you
suggest will certainly work - the disadvantage is that this does
not make a lot of sense when exporting to other formats.

One option would be to turn all those notes into footnotes
for other export.....

I'd really be interested to get more input on this issue.

- Carsten