[Orgmode] Re: Collaborate with heretics

From: andrea
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Collaborate with heretics
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 20:35:05 +0100

I try to be a prophet of emacs and org-mode but sometimes it's just a
loss of time.
Even very skilled informatics weren't convinced, sometimes they didn't
like it sometimes they just didn't want to spend time on it.

Once it happened that a friend of mine that was working with excel
tables saw how the text was flowing nicely on my org-mode buffer.
He was amazed and wanted to know everything and use it.

I was very happy about and I installed all the necessary, but then it
didn't work out.
It's just too "alien" for people used to work with office (bleah).

Emacs is not easy, org-mode also adds a lot of complexity (even if it's
really elegant and clear), and if both are not used daily it could
become more a pain than a pleasure.

But I'm convinced there's nothing more powerful on earth than org-mode
for working with plain text files.

So my question is a bit egoistic in fact, I want it whenever possible
also forcing other people to do it.

The other way for serious work is anyway latex, which is not at all
easier to manage.

Regarding the org-lite, I think it's quite difficult to create it, the
text manipulation which is done is really dynamic, a normal grammar
would not be enough.

But I guess in org-mobile there's code that could be very useful for
an org-lite, is there a plan to port that program to osx/windows/linux?