[Orgmode] Re: Beamer support in Org-mode

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Beamer support in Org-mode
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 15:01:58 +0100

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> [...] before I polish I would like comments on this outline.
>
> 1 Organization
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> 1.1 Sections
> =============
>
> By default, level one headlines become sections in the beamer
> document.  You can configure the variable org-beamer-frame-level
> to change this.  Setting it to three will make level 2 headlines
> become subsections.  For the rest of this document, I will assume
> that this variable has its default value 2.

I was used to use Org level-1 headlines as the frame title... but I've never
resolved how to put sections in my beamer slides (via Org) -- though this was
not that important yet for me, as I only converted slides made by others in
PowerPoint, and they don't have such sections (and TOC visible in the left
bar).

Though, I find this way of structuring excellent: sound and logical. Plus it
is even customizable. What else would we want?  Nothing...

> 1.2 Frames
> ===========
> Level 2 headline (or the level configured in
> org-beamer-frame-level) become frames.  The headline text become
> the frame title, but if no headline text is given, the frame gets
> no title.  If the frame title contains the string "\\", the line
> will be split at that location, and the second half become the
> frame /subtitle/.

Excellent. Really.

> 1.3 Columns
> ============
> Headlines one below frames (level 3 by default) can be used start
> columns on a frame.  The presence of such a headline without a
> beamer tag (see below) will create the columns environment.  The
> text in the headline is ignored.  It is helpful to write
> "columns" in this headline anyway.

Would *I* be asked about my true opinion, I would really object against this
one... Except that you say "can be used". So, I guess we're not forced.

My main "problem" here is that I like the idea of being to convert back or
forward between Org documents and Org-beamer documents. Such headlines would
not mean anything for a "normal" Org document, as you already pointed out.

Now, if this is not the default interpretation, it could be OK for everybody.
We should show this in the example below:
- normal level-3 headlines (level-1 for Beamer) and
- "column" level-3 headlines.

> 1.4 A column
> =============
> Headlines below a columns environment (level 4 by default) open a
> column.  The text in the headline should be a number smaller than
> one and will be used to define the column width.
>
> 1.5 Block-like environments
> ============================
> Any headline can become a block-like environment by tagging it
> with a beamer tag.  For examples, `:B_block:' will trigger the
> creation of a block environment, while `:B_theorem:' will trigger
> the creation of a theorem environment.  When it makes sense, the
> headline text is used in an appropriate argument of the
> environment, if that does not make sense, it is ignored.
>
> 1.6 Overlay/action tag and environment options
> Any headline can contain three types of cookies
>
> `<...>': The overlay/action setting for the environment
> `[<...>]': The default overlay/action specification for the
>      content of the environment, which can be overwritten locally
>      by each content element.
> `[...]': Optional argument(s) for the environment
>
> These can be given in arbitrary order freely in the headline.
> Org-mode will fish them out and insert them in the appropriate
> locations in the \begin statement of the environment.

I never really used overlays yet (only to play with). Though, this seems nice
to me, even if...

> Having these cookies plainly in the headline reduces the
> usability of the document as a normal document.  I have been
> thinking to move them into comments or properties, but I think
> this is, in the end, less convenient.  I people want to export
> these in other ways as well, we can write a function to clean
> up....
>
> 1.7 Overlay/action in list environment
> =======================================
> For plain list environments (ordered, unordered, and description
> lists) you can start each item optionally with an overlay
> specification `<...>'.  If any item in the list contains a
> default specification `[<...>]', this will be moved into the
> begin statement of the itemize/enumerate/description environment,
> to provide a default setting for the list items.
>
> 1.8 Embedded LaTeX
> ===================
> As is normal for Org-mode, you can embed LaTeX commands into the
> text, and they will be transferred literally into the exported
> document.  In particular, you can also embed beamer-specific
> commands.
>
> 1.9 Example
> ============
> Here is a (still very incomplete) example Org document that is
> intended for beamer export.
>
>   #+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
>   #+TITLE: Example Presentation
>   #+AUTHOR: Carsten Dominik
>
>   * This is the first structural section
>   ** Frame 1 \\ with a subtitle
>   *** columns will be used
>   **** 0.3
>   ***** Thanks   :B_block:
>         Thanks to Eric Fraga for the first viable beamer setup in Org
>   ***** Here we continue after the block :B_normal:
>         using a "normal" environment that helps to keep the structure
>         after a block
>   **** 0.7
>   ** Frame 2 \\ where we will not use columns
>   *** Request                                                        :B_block:
>       Please test this stuff!

I don't know if this can help you/us, but here is an example file I play with.

#+TITLE:     All-in file for testing Beamer with Org-mode
#+AUTHOR:    Seb Vauban
#+DATE:      2009-11-26
#+KEYWORDS:
#+LANGUAGE:  en