Re: [Orgmode] Re: Speed commands

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Speed commands
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 20:43:36 +0100

Hi Dan,

you need to call `org-cycle-show-empty-lines' with appropriate
arguments, just like org-cycle does it.

- Carsten

On Nov 17, 2009, at 8:23 PM, Dan Davison wrote:

address@hidden (J. David Boyd) writes:

Dan Davison <address@hidden> writes:

Dan Davison <address@hidden> writes:

Here are simplified versions of the forward- and backward-scroll speed
commands that I'm suggesting.

Ow, 1 major problem (to me).   They wipe out my white space.

I have my entries in an .org file set up like (I like white space):

* DONE Timeouts on JDBC connection...

* TODO Update Test Agents...

* TODO Update UAT Agents...

* TODO W911170058 - Prod Tomcat not being 'managed'...

but after I run your speed scripts, they look like:

* DONE Timeouts on JDBC connection...
* TODO Update Test Agents...
* TODO Update UAT Agents...
* TODO W911170058 - Prod Tomcat not being 'managed'...

Any ideas what to change to preserve my empty white line.  I could

Hi David,

I don't have an immediate solution. To make it appear as above, I'm
assuming you have two blank lines after the end of each entry, right?

Your whitespace is still there, it's just that the visibility of the
blank lines has changed, as a result of calling org-overview. I didn't
realise that the effects on whitespace visibility differed between
org-overview and the "OVERVIEW" state of org-cycle. Does anyone know of
a suitable way to programmatically achieve identical effects to the
cycling induced by org-cycle?

Or, to ask a slightly different question, is there any convenient way to
use org-cycle in a lisp program and tell it to cycle to a particular
state?

In any case, my use of org-overview is probably not really appropriate,
since it alters visibility in all the subtrees, whereas the scroll
functions should probably only alter visibility in the subtrees in which
they are operating. So if that were fixed hopefully the whitespace
problem would disappear. I'll look into it.

Dan

probably learn to live without it, but I'd rather not...

Dave