Re: [Orgmode] Colors for pre elem. on orgmode.org

From: Rick Moynihan
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Colors for pre elem. on orgmode.org
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 22:33:25 +0000

2009/11/16 Sebastian Rose <address@hidden>:
> Greg Newman <address@hidden> writes:
>> On my calibrated monitor that's fine for readability
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Sebastian Rose <address@hidden>wrote:
>

> My monitor is not calibrated, but I see all the 1's on
> http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/mypics/572427/display/3843090 so the
> contrast is good enough.
>
> I just installed lprof and tried to improve the calibration of my
> monitor (which I never had problems with, BTW). But I couldn't enter the
> monitor values for "Weißpunkt" (`white point' ???) and "Grundfarben"
> (`basic colors' ??), because I did not know what to enter there. "Set
> Gamma and Black Point" seems not to work correct (according to photos I
> see on the net like the one mentioned above). When I load a photo for
> Scanner calibration, the image is distorted - so I don't really know why
> to trust that program => uninstalled it again.
>
> There are other programs for calibration, but I don't have colorimeter
> at hand. And I don't know anyone who owns such a thing.
>
> I don't know many people, who use calibrated monitors by the way. Just a
> few people doing graphics - and even they don't own a colorimeter.
>

> It is a tiny little bit better with bigger fonts (in Opera I see heavier
> font - in FF the Courier font is very light - might be a bug), or.
>
> I think we should make it readable for everyone, right? And we should
> make as close to the optimum as possible.
>
> Here is what I see on  flickr:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/address@hidden/4109090241/in/set-72157622816907722/

For what it's worth I find the lack of contrast here a problem too.
Though I can read the text, it's not especially pleasant.  I've also
found something similar in my exports (with a non default colour
theme), which has led me to use the following STYLE option for source
code blocks etc...

#+STYLE:    <style> pre { background-color: #191919 } pre { color:
#FFFFFF } </style>

Having a darker background colour for source code and example blocks
seems like the sensible thing to do.

R.