[Orgmode] Re: [off-topic/GTD]Only Next Actions list to rule them all ?

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [off-topic/GTD]Only Next Actions list to rule them all ?
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 15:05:43 -0400

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <address@hidden> writes:

> On the other hand, most of this could be achieved by using the agenda
> view and other org filtering features, and still keep a list of
> projects, sub-projects and next-actions, all in one, like:
>
> (Always ordered by priority)
>
> * Projects and Next Actions
> ** A project/outcome :PROJECT:
> *** TODO Do something :HOME:
> *** A subproject :PROJECT:
> **** TODO Do something! :HOME:
> *** TODO Do something else :OFFICE:
>
> Then, in the agenda, I can filter by HOME / OFFICE or TODO and would
> have a flat list of actions too.
>
> More configuration, but more you get, when you view the Projects and
> Next Actions list, the information of to which project this next action
> belongs, which might not be that important, as I'm interested on doing,
> not reviewing the landscape all the time, but could be useful sometimes
> (when the action is not specific enough you can't tell the related
> outcome).
>
> What do you guys think?

Are you looking for us to convince you to organize your files by
project? :)

IMO, how the user chooses to organize his/her files is a moot point,
since the magic of org-mode lies in the agenda. My agenda files consist
of several thematic files (currently 21), each containing a variety of
notes, projects, todos, etc. In the end, the organization of these files
doesn't matter, since org-mode's agenda commands do a fantastic job of
presenting me with clean lists of all my todos, while org-refile allows
me easily to move items to different files and or subheadings.

I prefer this method because it allows me to jump to rich contextual
information from the agenda. For me, keeping next actions and projects
separate within the org files would eliminate a major strength of
org-mode and reduplicate what the agenda already does. But to each
his/her own! :)

- Matt