Re: [Orgmode] iPhone app for Org view and capture

From: peter . frings
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] iPhone app for Org view and capture
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 17:18:46 +0200

On 08 Sep 2009, at 16:24, Richard Moreland wrote:

I've been working with Carsten on a free iPhone app for Org.  We are still working out some of the details, but so far we have it running on the phone in a fairly usable state.  It needs some polish, but it is very nice to see my Org data easily accessible on a mobile device with offline access.  To be clear, we aren't trying to run Emacs on the device.  The goal is to view Org files and agendas as well as capture new notes.

Here is a teaser video of the app running in the simulator:  http://ncogni.to/mobileorg-demo1.mov

Once we feel the basics are worked out, we will solicit a request for beta testers and feedback, but for now you'll have to be satisfied with the demo video :)

Wow indeed. Some things immediately came up when viewing the movie; I hope you don't mind me posting them so soon.

I imagine the app does not require a live connection to the server. In order to work offline, I think that the app must
- clearly show the time of downloading each document,
- be able to capture and store multiple notes when offline and forward them when online. A way of reviewing the stored notes, possibly edit or remove them would be a bonus.

I could imagine that captured but not yet forwarded notes appear in the 'capture.org' document entry (on the App), marked as not-forwarded and being editable and removable. After syncing, these notes become part of the real capture.org document and thus read-only, just like the rest.

Oh well, you probably thought of all that, so I'll just shut up now...

Cheers,
Peter.