Re: [Orgmode] how to draw picture in org-mode ? Does it support tikz/pgf

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] how to draw picture in org-mode ? Does it support tikz/pgf ?
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 09:40:38 +0200

On Aug 14, 2009, at 12:53 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:

Graham Smith <address@hidden> wrote:

Something I, as a comparative beginner  can answer :-)

how to draw picture in org-mode ? Does it support tikz/pgf ?

Yes, I found it worked fine for me. I had a silly problem with page
margins (searchng the forum for tikz/pgf will find my recent posts),
that was my fault but other than that the flow charts and mindmaps I
have done work well.

Let me add a qualifier: if you try to preview the image, then it does
not seem to work, but that seems to be a characteristic of tikz/pgf,
rather than org-mode.

Here's the experiment, should somebody care to try it:

o Start with a simple picture - the one waterloo posted earlier in
the month will do:

,----
| #+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{tikz}
|
| * Draw
|
| \begin{tikzpicture}
| \draw (0,0) -- (10,0);
| \end{tikzpicture}
`----

I think this should work, but I believe the latex
files that is used to create the image does not have te right
usepackage statement.

Right now I am on a machine without dvipng, so I cannot try this:

1. pull from git
2. Instead of #+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{tikz}, use

   (setq org-export-latex-packages-alist '(("" "tikz))

   because this customization will now also be seen by
   the preview process.

I hope that then the preview will also work.

- Carsten

o Export it to LaTeX with C-c C-e l.

o Process the latex file with pdflatex and view with xpdf - everything
is fine.

o Process the latex file with latex, producing a dvi file. View the dvi file with xdvi: the picture is missing (and I get a Ghostscript error.)

o Process the dvi file to PS with dvips and view the resulting PS file:
the picture is there.

Since (I'm guessing) preview processes the dvi file with dvipng and
since the dvi file seems to have some kind of problem, preview does not
work.

HTH,
Nick