Re: [Orgmode] Narrow tSparse Trees layout

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Narrow tSparse Trees layout
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 10:46:06 -0400

Cian OConnor <address@hidden> wrote:

> Oh sorry, I was using the wrong terminology. I don't mean sparse trees
> at all, I meant narrow trees.
>
> It would be nice if there was an option so that narrowed trees are
> displayed without their normal indentation. So for example if narrow a
> subtree at level 4, then it is displayed as a normal tree at level 1
> rather than as a tree starting at level 4 as currently happens.
> Its just that when drafting papers I tend to have lots and lots of
> indentation in early drafts, and while narrowing trees is a godsend, the
> unnecessary (for my purposes) indentation is slightly annoying.

I presume you have org-hide-leading-stars set to t. If so, what looks
like indentation, is really hidden leading stars (see section 14.5 of
the manual). I am no expert but I would think that implementing what
you want would be difficult. If it really bothers you, perhaps you can
promote the tree to level 1 while you are working on it and then demote
it before widening again - I think this cure is worse than the disease,
but to each his own.

HTH,
Nick