Re: [Orgmode] iCal export - possible timezone bug

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] iCal export - possible timezone bug
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 16:13:01 -0400

Richard Riley <address@hidden> wrote:

> Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Richard Riley <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> It's a tad more complicated in my case since although I use gdm, I don't
> >> use gnome-session as I use xmonad as my WM but with various gnome
> >> utilities such as gnome-taskbar.
> >>

> > I may have misspoken about gnome-session: the article I pointed you to
> > seems to say that it's gdm that reads /etc/gdm/Xsession.
>
> Which is still not a good place to put it since if you change your login
> manager to, say, wdm bang goes your TZ.

I certainly was not suggesting putting the TZ definition in a system file:
it belongs in a personal file (e.g. ~/.profile in my case).  I was just
correcting a (possible) misstatement in my earlier post.

The question is: is there a personal file that can be used for this purpose,
no matter *how* one starts his or her desktop environment?  I suspect that
the answer is "no", but there might be a best practice: one or two or perhaps a
handful of possibilities for different methods of desktop initialization.

Nick