[Orgmode] Re: markup in environments in latex export

From: Chris Gray
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: markup in environments in latex export
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 15:09:26 +0200

Carsten Dominik wrote:

> Hi Chris,

> you can't have the cake and eat it.

> if you insert a LaTeX environment, the entire environment
> will be protected.  After all, you rely on this quoting with your
> itemize environment!

Hi Carsten,

I don't really understand this.  I can see it for things like the
verbatim environment, but that might be a special case.

> However, you can do this:

> #+begin_center

I should have chosen a different example I suppose.  What I am really
using, rather than center, are the theorem, lemma, and proof
environments.  I thought it would be safer for my example to use an
environment that is included by default in LaTeX.  Unfortunately, center
is already a special case in org.  But I tried #+begin_proof and that
did not work.

> This works by the protection being done first, and only
> then #+begin_center is turned into \begin{center}

Perhaps that could be generalized so that #+begin_foo means "do the
regular org parsing and then turn on \begin{foo}"?  Other exporters
would be free to ignore these commands.

I really like doing my work in org mode, and I can certainly convert my
markup commands to regular LaTeX, but doing that really seems like a
second-best solution.

Cheers,
Chris