Re: [Orgmode] how to express relative path for grandparent folder?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] how to express relative path for grandparent folder?
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 18:33:57 -0400

address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:

> no, it is not working.
> Since my grandparent folder is out of home folder(~)
>
> Any one know it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Manish wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 10:55 PM, address@hidden wrote:
> >
> >> I tried ../.., does not work. ../ works for parents folder.
> >> ../.. does not work, because emacs or "setq org-agenda-files (list"? how to
> >> correct it.
> >> (setq org-agenda-files (list "../../Plans/PhD.org"
> >>               "../../Plans/Others.org"
> >> ))
> >>

> > Does variable org-directory help?

What exactly is not working? The main problem with ../../Plans/etc is
that it's a relative pathname: *it depends on your current working
directory (CWD)*, so whether the agenda files can be found will depend
on what your CWD is - a rather undesirable state of affairs.

If you want to *initialize* the agenda files list, you can do something
like this in your .emacs:

     (setq org-agenda-files (mapcar (function expand-file-name) (list
"../../Plans/PhD.org" etc)))

expand-file-name will convert the relative path names to absolute path names,
so they can be found later on no matter what your CWD is.

Does this help?

Nick