Re: [Orgmode] outline-agenda sorting consistency

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] outline-agenda sorting consistency
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 20:22:32 +0100

Hi Samuel,
On Feb 11, 2009, at 6:36 AM, Samuel Wales wrote:

Here are some possible ways that the outline and the agenda
could be made slightly more consistent.  Hope I didn't miss
any that already exist.

1) priority faces are settable in the agenda.  perhaps
   they could be so in the outline also.

This seems more confusing than useful to me.  In the agenda,
all the tasks are together, so it does make some sense to
change fonts.  In the outline, I would find it confusing.
Are there any other opinions on this?

2) sorting strategy is settable in the agenda.  perhaps it
   could be settable in the outline also.  they could
   share code.

To be honest, I never sort the outline, except in rare cases.
I would be interested how people use this to get a better case
for changing this.

One of the basic principles in Org is that in the notes files,
tasks are in context.  In the agenda, things are re-arranged
and sorted.  That is why there is a complex sorting strategy
in the agenda, but not in the outline.

- Carsten

   also:

   * priorities are sortable.  perhaps tags can be
     sortable via a default (built-in) sorting strategy
     also.

     to set the weights, the user configures as follows.
     nil means that tag sorting does nothing.

     ;;urgent gets sorted highest (or lowest, depending on
     ;;perspective).  this is very useful for people who
     ;;have some ordered tags.
     (setq org-tag-sort-weights
           '(("urgent" . 1000)
             ("now" . 100)
             ;;below no tag
             ("someday" . -100))

             ;;nutrition is more important than entertainment
             ("nutrition" . 100)
             ("entertainment" . -100))
   * todo states are sortable.  perhaps they can be
     sortable in such a way that the user can put blank
     entries (no todo state) as desired (e.g. between TODO
     and DONE).  perhaps a variable to set the weights.

--
Myalgic encephalomyelitis denialists are causing massive suffering and
25-years-early death by grossly corrupting science.