Re: [Orgmode] Remind functionality?

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Remind functionality?
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 22:17:16 +0100

Hi Nicolas,

On Jan 25, 2009, at 5:36 PM, Nicholas S-A wrote:

Hi,
   I am attempting to use org-mode as a replacement for remind. I
currently have it set up with the following in my .bash_profile:

emacs --batch --no-init-file -q  -l ~/.emacs.slim --eval "(progn
(org-agenda-list) (princ (buffer-string)))" 2> /dev/null

Where ~/.emacs.slim is a very small init file which essentially just
loads org-mode and sets the agenda alist.

This works great, but I have a few qualms:
1) Is there any way to just load the agenda part of org-mode? The
current exec time of the line above is around 1s, compared to about . 1s
for remind. If not, are there any other tricks to reduce emacs startup
time?

It is unlikely that this can be make faster in a significant way.
Why is it a problem????  Even if it takes 10 seconds?
Ah, I see, you do this in every new shell??????  This sounds
unnecessary, to say the least.
Maybe you have to explain better what exactly your are doing....

If not, I will probably just write an org-agenda clone in some
other language to reduce the overhead.
2) Can I change the format of the Deadline lines to be more obvious by
adding **** Deadline: xxx ****, but *only* in the .emacs.slim executed
version? princ doesn't print in color, so I have to scan through to see
whether something is a deadline or a scheduled item.

No, this is not possible.  The only handle you have is the variable
org-agenda-deadline-leaders, maybe you can do something with this.

- Carsten