Re: [Orgmode] Possible to get a subtree agenda view?

From: Matthew Lundin
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Possible to get a subtree agenda view?
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 15:29:51 -0600

Hi Robert,

Robert Goldman <address@hidden> writes:

> I have a @car category that I use to keep track of things I might want
> to do when out in the car.  Getting the agenda view *almost* works for
> this.  But often an item here indicates that I should visit some store,
> and underneath the item is a list of things to purchase.  The agenda
> view, of course, suppresses that list.  This means that printing out (or
> pushing to my palm) the agenda view isn't really what I want.  I'd
> really like to have the subtree below the matching items (because I know
> the subtree is always trivial).
>
> I *think* I should be able to do this with a custom agenda command,
> using sparse trees, but I'm having a couple of problems figuring this out:
>
> 1.  I don't really want a sparse tree, because I don't want anything
> "upstream" of the selected items.

See the variable org-show-hierarchy-above.

> 2.  I want to force the matches to be expanded.

See the variable org-show-entry-below.

C-c / T address@hidden"TODO"

> Is there any existing way to do this, or should I start rooting around
> in the code?

For a custom agenda command:

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
      '(("f" tags-tree "+car+TODO=\"TODO\""
         ((org-show-entry-below t)
          (org-show-hierarchy-above nil)))
          ;; other commands
        ))

I believe all of this is in the manual of the most recent version of
org.

Regards,
Matt