Re: [Orgmode] Idea for org-mode add on - org-console

From: Ben Alexander
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Idea for org-mode add on - org-console
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 19:48:35 +0000

On 2008-Nov-25, at 17:00, address@hidden wrote:

From: Richard Riley <address@hidden>
Date: 25 November 2008 14:24:18 GMT
To: org-mode <address@hidden>
Subject: [Orgmode] Idea for org-mode add on - org-console

I love org-mode. It is perfect for things like a work journal/ daily
"work done" diary.

I would love an org mode console.

Reading what you described made me think of James TD Smith & Carsten's comments (Date: 25 November 2008 11:46:19 GMT) about a two key sequence to org-remember.  If there were a way to designate a particular buffer for the prompting of org-remember (can Emacs have two mini-buffers?) then you could make a frame with two windows.  The top buffer is just an org-remember buffer and hitting C-c C-c would prompt you for the template to apply.  Then all that would need to be added is to automatically re-enter the org-remember buffer.

Would it cause a stack explosion if the (imaginary) org-remember-after-filing-hook called org-remember again?

I'll add that for my own purposes (and mainly because my remember-templates are rather primative) I find that one remember buffer can add multiple todo entries.  I just keep on adding headlines with M-S-<return>  (org-insert-todo-heading) while my brain is hot with ideas before I hit C-c C-c (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c).  If I think I need to immediately refile, that's what C-u C-c C-c is for :-)

Question about a console mode:  Are you thinking of something like a shell buffer in emacs, where you have a default directory (org analogy: org-buffer/headline); access to history with M-p and M-n; where the buffer grows longer as you enter items.  Or are you thinking that the buffer would be cleared to blank every time you hit C-c C-c (what I was assuming while writing the above paragraph)

-Ben