Re: [Orgmode] keeping track of sent emails in org?

From: Pete Phillips
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] keeping track of sent emails in org?
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 09:38:49 +0000

Hi Greg
>>>>> "Sullivan," == Sullivan, Gregory (US SSA) <address@hidden> writes:

    Sullivan,> Much of what I need to do is in some way related to email
    Sullivan,> messages I have received.  So, to the extent that org is
    Sullivan,> my repository of things I have to do and notes related to
    Sullivan,> those things, links to related email messages would be
    Sullivan,> very useful.

You should be able to do that already.

Not sure what mail agent you use, but I use MH-E. If I want to link a
mail msg to org, I do this:

     1 - Type C-c l (org-store-link) which stores this message in a
 buffer (may be a ring actually).

     2 - pop over to your org-mode buffer, get to the correct location
 (or use remember) and hit C-c C-l (org-insert-link)

That's it. Opening that link in org-mode will open up the email
message.

I have mh-e set up to use mairix as my mail indexing tool, and a cron
job that runs mairix once an hour. Org-mode uses mairix to pull out the
message from the appropriate place (pretty sure it does this using the
message ID). The mh-e manual gives detailed instructions on setting up
mh-e with mairix (or other indexing tools, such as swish etc). I suspect
you could also use gnus, VM etc.

Now clearly this depends on you using an emacs mail agent, but why
wouldn't you ?  You can spend your whole working life inside emacs. Add
viper-mode for those of us with vi hardwired into our brains, and you
have productivity Nirvana!  :-)

Pete