[Orgmode] Re: org-refile gets the level wrong

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: org-refile gets the level wrong
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 11:14:15 -0400

Trey Jackson <address@hidden> writes:

> Just started using org (6.06b).
>
> I've got .emacs customization:
> (setq org-log-done t)
> (setq org-directory "~/org/")
> (setq org-agenda-files (list "~/org/orgTutorial.org"))
> (setq org-default-notes-file "~/org/orgTutorial.org")
> (setq org-return-follows-link t)
> (setq org-blank-before-new-entry '((heading . t)
>                                    (plain-list-item . nil)))
>

> And I've got a file that looks like this:
> ,----------------
> | #+STARTUP: showstars
> | #+STARTUP: hidestars
> | #+STARTUP: odd
> | #+STARTUP: oddeven
> |
> | * first header
> |
> | * second header
> | *** TODO thing to refile
> `----------------
>
> On the 'TODO' item I run M-x org-refile
> and when prompted enter 'first header'
>
> After refiling it looks like:
>
> ,----------------
> | * first header
> | ** TODO thing to refile
> |
> | * second header
>
> Note there are only two asterisks.  Is this expected behavior?  Or a bug?

I think this is expected behaviour.  Your startup options are
conflicting.  You normally have only one of showstarts or hidestars
since their settings are mutually exclusive.  You also only have one of
odd or oddeven.  I think the last encountered setting wins so your
startup options are equivalent to

#+STARTUP: hidestars oddeven

-Bernt