Re: [Orgmode] Org-mode versus Taskpaper - now for real

From: Eddward DeVilla
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Org-mode versus Taskpaper - now for real
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 10:52:41 -0500

To be honest, if I were looking for an outliner today as I was when I
found org-mode, I might have been scared off.  Org-mode has gotten
very big.  But as you said, the easy things are easy.  There are a
great many feature in org-mode that I have not used nor have I had
time to learn to use.  They have had no negative impact on me.  For
the most part, I've found the features I don't use can be safely
ignored and the ones I am using require very little setup.

I guess the best way to address this problem might be to document up
front that org-mode uses a simple, readable, text only format and that
all of the features can be used independently of each other but that
they do interact well together.  (It's been a while since I've scanned
the manual, so maybe that's already in the intro.)  I guess we could
put together a tutorial of using org-mode as just a friendly listing,
outliner without using any of the other features to show org-mode can
scale up to Taskpaper's level of simplicity.  I'd have a hard time not
adding a table though.

Edd