Re: [Orgmode] Updating OrgMode

From: Graham Smith
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Updating OrgMode
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 13:49:59 +0000

Bastien,

Thanks but that is roughly what I "think" I was doing and didn't work.

I have a directory called "emacsaddins" with a subdirectory called "Orgmode".

Together with lines in .emacs to load and require orgmode from that directory.

In the past I have just overwritten the contents of the "Orgmode" directory with the latest release and that has then been the version then loaded in Emacs.

On this occasion I over wrote the contents of the orgmode directory with 5.13i, but Emacs still loaded 4.67. hence my question about updating because what I was doing in the past didn't work. Which I assumed was because OrgMode was part of Emacs now.

Having said that the lines in my .emac is slightly different.

(add-to-list 'load-path "C:\\Program Files\\EmacAddIns\\org-mode")
 (require 'org)

but this seemed to work in the past

I'm afraid I don't know how to use the script you have attached :-(

Sorry I'm being so dim

Graham
On 14/11/2007, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Graham,

"Graham Smith" <address@hidden> writes:

> I am returning to emacs after a brief try out some time ago. As Org-mode
> is now part of the distribution I'm no longer too sure how to update
> it. Before I had a folder for Org-mode that my .emacs file pointed to
> and I just copied all the new files into that folder.

Welcome back to Emacs :)

Unless you're using Emacs CVS, it's likely that you want to download the
whole Org package every now and then, and make sure you are using org.el
that comes with it.

To get the latest Org distribution, I am using Pete's script (attached).
Please have a look at it; you certainly want to modify variables to make
it work in your environment.

To load the most recent org.el, always put it in the same location and
add this location to your load-path in ~/.emacs:

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/testing/org/")

Then doing a simple (require 'org-install) somewhere after this should
do the trick.  It will override any org.el that you might already have
in your .../emacs/lisp/ directory.

HTH,

--
Bastien