Re: [Orgmode] property searches for #+CATEGORY

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] property searches for #+CATEGORY
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 17:20:32 +0100

On  7Nov2007, at 3:15 PM, Bastien wrote:

I understand now.

I think it would be clearer to distinguish between categorizing files
and categorizing tasks.  In a sense, using #+CATEGORY across several
files (as you do) is more a way to group these files under the same
ombrella (conveniently called "category"), rather than to group all
tasks below each #+CATEGORY in the same category.

Let me say it with other words: if several files share the same
#+CATEGORY, then this bit of information won't be of any help to
distinguish between these files' tasks, it will only help separating
files with #+CATEGORY: A from files with #+CATEGORY: B.

Then I think the right solution would be to have groups of agenda files.
Something like:

  #+AGENDA_GROUP: personal

The idea to have groups of agenda files has come up before.
It is hard to implement because agenda creating commands
are *global* commands, so the group should not be a property
of the location from where you call the agenda.

You can, of course, already make custom commands that are
restricted to a specific group of files, by setting
`org-agenda-files' as one of the options for a custom command
in org-agenda-custom-comands....

- Carsten