Re: [Orgmode] Re: Ringing the alarm bell in orgmode

From: William Henney
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Ringing the alarm bell in orgmode
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 10:58:47 -0600

Thanks for your help, Chris, Richard, and Bastien. Chris's method of
properly.

On 11/6/07, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
> "William Henney" <address@hidden> writes:
> I use the script Pete sent a while a go update org-mode automatically.
> It fetches uncompress and untar the tarball archive.  It copies the org
> info file (which name is really "org") to the local ~/info/ directory
> where I keep latest version of Info files.
>
> Then I have this is my .emacs.el:
>
>   (add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list "~/info/")
>
> And the info page is correct.  Does that help?

I don't use Pete's script, but I do essentially the same thing and it
doesn't work

BUT, I think I have now found the culprit... It is all the fault of
fink (for the non Mac users, fink is a package manager and repo for OS
X, a bit like yum or apt, except a lot less useful....)

At some point I had added the following line to my ~/.profile

  test -r /sw/bin/init.sh && . /sw/bin/init.sh

and that file, unbeknownst to me had been setting the INFOPATH
environment variable. This means that Info-directory-list gets
initialised from INFOPATH and that Info-default-directory-list is
completely ignored :(

So, the answer seems to be to unset INFOPATH in the shell and to merge
the fink info directories into my Info-default-directory-list

At least, I assume this will work. I don't want to restart my emacs at
the moment since I would lose too much context, but I will test it out
when I next have a quiet time.

Cheers

Will

--

  Dr William Henney, Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
  Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia