Re: [Orgmode] Categories

From: Richard G Riley
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Categories
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 17:04:00 +0200

> You can add a category property to the entry, and that will overrule the
> category that might be inherited from above.  With the latest org-mode
> 5.12,
> press `C-c C-x p'.  This will prompt you for a property name, enter
> CATEGORY
> (using completion).  The it will ask you for the category itself and
> you

Completion doesnt work for me. Possibly this is a result of using
icicles? You just TAB to completion?

> can enter it, again using completion against existing categories
> (given as
> properties *anywhere* in the file.  So this will not see the
> #+CATEGORY lines,
> only the
>
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :CATEGORY: work
>   :END:
>
> definitions.
>
> You can also insert a line
>
> #+PROPERTY: CATEGORY_ALL work home phone whendrunk
>
> to define a complete list of categories.
>
> Note that setting the property wil change the category of the item,
> but it will *not* move it to a different place in the file.  If I
> understand correctly, this is what you want.

Yes. The concept of not having to worry about where things are in the
org file doesn't really work for me. I like things having a certain
category in that category section - otherwise there seems little point
in having lines like

,----
| * Emacs
|
| :PROPERTIES:
| :CATEGORY: Emacs
| :END:
`----

This might seem like an incredibly naive question, but with the concept
of "general properties", where do TAGs fit in now?  Is a tag a special
kind of property? I am having difficulty seeing the best way to utilise
the tools and would appreciate some wise words of guidance here.