Re: [Orgmode] depending TODOs, scheduling following TODOs automatically

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] depending TODOs, scheduling following TODOs automatically
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 08:21:48 -0500

> I a sense, that shows that having a proper GUID system will only be
> useful in case there are many tasks with the same name, which should
> already be discouraged since headlines may show up in the agenda buffer
> with no context at all.

I rarely have issues with conflicts in agenda. I use discreet files
for separate projects, and unique subitems are scheduled. Otherwise
I'll deal with duplicates. ;]

> IMO, a better rationale behind GUID is that headlines can change and
> thus not be reached anymore by a search string. Having a GUID would
> fix this.  But I'm definitely not a GUID-fan, sorry :)

I'm not a fan either, but recognize that it is a fast fix. You can use
a static property and simplified search (vs regexp) and know that
you've matched the correct item.

That being said, perhaps the GUID should be dynamic and similar to the
links interface. By default, no items have properties, or GUID's. If
you trigger a "save location", a GUID is added to the current item
adding a property drawer as needed. You can then choose that TODO from
a list when creating the dependency (again, just like links).

Thats what came to mind for me.

Russell Adams                            address@hidden