Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-toc.el - browsable table of contents for Org

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-toc.el - browsable table of contents for Org
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:06:41 +0200

Renzo Been <address@hidden> writes:

> | Org-TOC is a really nice way to navigate through
> | any org-file.

Thanks!

> | - Draw a box around the contents of the TOC-buffer (like I did with
> | this e-mail). I don't know if that's possible to write via e-lisp,
> | because the TOC-buffer has to be updated frequently...

I must acknowledge that the boxquote stuff wrapping your e-mails always
looked a bit weird to me.. I usually see this as a way to quote emails
or code examples, not to encapsulate your own prose.

I don't see any way to make boxquotes works with the TOC anyway, since
there would be too many complexity when displaying several levels at the
same time.

But I like the idea of having some kind of margin, just as linum.el does
for line numbers:

  http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e0225855/linum/linum.html

What kind of information you would like to be displayed in this margin?
(Remember there is org-toc-info already, so the margin and the echo-area
should work in a complementary way.)

> | - Have the TOC get it's own face, so it can be shown in a different
> | color. But than you could kind of lose the differences between
> | headlines (if headlines of more levels are shown in the
> | TOC-buffer)...

We could have a whole new set of customizable faces for org-toc-mode, I
will consider this.

> | - Use h-line to high-lite TOC-buffer lines in a
> |   different color

I don't know "h-line"... did you mean "hl-line? I think the purpose of
global-hl-line-mode is only to highlight the current line, not several
lines.

> | And I also have one question: Is there a way to have the TOC
> | auto-loaded with an org-file (through an in-file setting)?

I tried to insert this at the end of a file:

  # Local Variables:
  # eval: (org-show-table-of-contents)
  # End:

but it requires M-x normal-mode, which I don't understand. Even by
setting both `enable-local-variables' and `enable-local-eval' to t
(which is not recommended!) ... any hint on this is welcome!

--
Bastien