Re: [Orgmode] Moving an item to a precise place

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Moving an item to a precise place
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 14:40:12 +0200

Xavier Maillard <address@hidden> writes:

> So let's say I have this organization:
>
> * Project 1
> ** TODO Ask foo about bar
>
> * Project 2
> ** TODO Write customer report
>
> * Project 3
>
> How can I move the TODO from "Project 1" to "Project 3" directly
> -i.e. move by "name"

What about this?

1. Put the cursor at the beginning of the TODO you want to move
2. C-c C-x C-w to cut the subtree (leave the point on "Project 2")
3. C-c C-f to go to the next heading (same level)
4. C-n to go to the next line
5. C-y to yank the subtree

You can also use org-goto (C-c C-j) to navigate through the structure
easily if you need to paste the cut subtree far in the file.

> I know there is org-move-item-(down/up) and subtree but I did not see
> anything to tell an item to move a precise place (where the precise
> place will be prompted).

I think it's better to rely on usual kill/yank procedures when the moves
are not hierarchy-dependant.

--
Bastien