[Orgmode] problem with LaTeX exporter

From: Brian van den Broek
Subject: [Orgmode] problem with LaTeX exporter
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 17:24:12 -0400

Hi all,

I've encountered a problem with the LaTeX export function. If I visit an org-mode file and invoke <C-c C-e L> I get the error message

Symbol's function definition is void: caddr

I followed the instructions in the manual to produce a backtrace. However, when I load emacs with org.el (as opposed to letting it load org.elc) the problem disappears. The backtrace generated when running org.elc on a minimal testing document is:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function caddr)
  caddr((t "LaTeX" "BEGIN_LaTeX" "END_LaTeX"))
  org-export-latex-cleaned-string()
org-latex-cleaned-string-for-export(#("This file is for testing.\n\nIt has no real content.\n\n" 0 52 (fontified nil)) :for-html nil :comments nil :for-LaTeX t :skip-before-1st-heading nil :LaTeX-fragments nil)
  org-export-as-latex(nil nil nil "*Org LaTeX Export*")
  org-export-as-latex-to-buffer(nil)
  call-interactively(org-export-as-latex-to-buffer)
  org-export()
  call-interactively(org-export)

I also noticed that when I did the make/make install dance to install 5.06, the make command produced a number of warnings concerning org-export-latex and related functions. The most pertinent seems:

In end of data:
org-export-latex.el:1212:1:Warning: the following functions are not known to
    be defined: caddr, cadddr

Since the make output is pretty big, I've put a temporary copy up at <http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~broek/orgmodemakeerror.txt>

I'm pretty new to emacs and org-mode has occasioned my first use of make in anger, so user error is entirely possible :-)

Any suggestions?

Thanks and best,

Brian vdB