Re: [Orgmode] Integration of Org mode and mairix

From: Georg C. F. Greve
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Integration of Org mode and mairix
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 01:15:31 +0200

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 17:08:33 +0100
Adam Spiers <address@hidden> wrote:

 as> Funnily enough, I implemented exactly this idea about 15 months
 as> ago, except that my implementation uses mairix (the mail indexer),
 as> and is mode-agnostic.

Thanks a lot, this is most interesting and put me on the right track.

Combining your work with that of Guy Hillenius, which he blogged at
http://www.hillenius.net/node/44 I integrated Gnus, Mairix & Org now.

The core is a patch for org.el -- this patch is still somewhat
primitive, but should not break anything and unless the new variables
are changed will not change standard behaviour:

But if someone feels like improving this so it can go into mainstream
org.el, that would be great.

Right now it needs some glue in your .gnus.el

and you should configure .mairixrc to store its search results where
Gnus stores its nnmaildir data. Mine looks like this:

With this you can store Org links as mairix links, including the
possibility to store links to emails that will pull the entire thread
that contains this message into the temporary buffer -- so you'll only
need to link to one and always get the entire thread.

For convenience it also makes sense to define some key bindings.

This gives as much functionality as "normal" Gnus integration otherwise,
although now it is no longer needed to know WHERE things are stored, as
mairix will find it regardless of final location.

So this solves the most urgent problem for me with the old Gnus links
and will hopefully be useful for some others, too.

On top of this some more sophisticated integration might be set up,
although http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/1771 does not
really help me too much, as I have multiple agenda files in which I like
to store things.

Regards,
Georg

--