Re: [Orgmode] [c]ompute property value ?

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [c]ompute property value ?
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:30:21 +0200

> The problem is that the summary type is a property of the
> column view format, not of the property itself.

Yes, i inferred that from the fact that the summary type is
automatically updated when changing the property value from
the column view.

> So it is not entirely obvious how and with what scope this command
> should be interpreted - even though I think we should have it.

So far as C-c C-x C-c does the updating job by computing the summary, i
guess we just need a function that replaces the values of the properties
when they exist (in parent and children).

Such a function should be interactive and might called by
`write-file-hooks'.

> Another issue is that even though column view show the summary values,
> they are not by default inserted into the properties list of the
> parent node.  If the parent node does have the property, its value
> is updated.  If it does not have it, the property will not
> be added.  I thought this would be useful to avoid the property
> drawer filling with stuff you might not want there.

Very right.

> So for the summing command you propose, we need to decide
> how to handle this question.  Maybe with a prefix
> argument, force the creation of the property in the parent
> nodes?

A prefix argument sounds good to me.

Certainly all these questions are not #1 priority.  As you said,
proprities are new and it might be wise to wait for more people to
interact with them...

Cheers,

--
Bastien