[Orgmode] Creating prioritized todo list from GTD project/next action li

From: Scott Jaderholm
Subject: [Orgmode] Creating prioritized todo list from GTD project/next action list
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 20:30:50 -0700

Hi,

It looks like many of the org-mode users are using it for a GTD-like setup. I imagine many of you have a format like this:

* Project 1
** Next Action

* Project 2
** Next Action

I've heard some opposition from GTDers to a simple todo list for the day and it seems that the GTD way is to decide in-the-moment what to do based on a number of criteria. Well, I really do like having a todo list and planning out the critical things for my day in the morning and then going down the list checking them off. I but I also like having a project view because that allows me to make sure I come up with the next actions for all my commitments. I'm curious if anyone has come up with a nice way to make this todo list, organize it, but have it link back to your next actions for your projects.

I've tried tagging TODOs with :today:, but you can't reorder them in the agenda match tag window. What I normally do now is schedule the TODOs for today and then I archive them in the agenda view with $ to complete them. The biggest problem with this is that I can't reorder the scheduled TODOs to reflect the priority or order in which I want to do them, and I clutter up my calendar view of the day.

I thought of two solutions and I'm wondering if anyone has implemented either or come up with another.

One, rearrange items in the agenda without having to assign them a time.

Two, have a keystroke that you could press on a headline and it would create a link (or an agenda like display) of that headline in a temporary window (or a todo window) where you could use org-mode controls to rearrange the headlines. If you pressed C-c $ or C-c C-t you could archive or complete the tasks and have them be changed back in the real file.

Just thought I'd ask and see if there was something I was missing.

Thanks,
Scott