Re: [Emacs-orgmode] another org-export request regarding links

From: Austin Frank
Subject: Re: [Emacs-orgmode] another org-export request regarding links
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 11:02:24 -0400

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Are jou suggesting that *all* links should be exported as reference
> style, or only some?  Which ones?

There are a few different ways I can see it working.

First, and probably simplest, would be to set a flag in #+OPTIONS: that
applied to all of the links in the file on ascii export.

Another idea would be to introduce a new function with an embellished
linking markup for adding an ID and title to links-- something like

    [[http://www.example.com][description][optional id][optional title]]

In this case, any link created with org-insert-reference-link (or
whatever the new function was called) would be exported in reference
style during org-export-as-ascii.  To clarify:

    I use [[http://www.yahoo.com][Yahoo search][][]].
    I use [[http://www.google.com][Google search][1][]].
    I use [[http://www.ask.com][Ask search][2][formerly Ask Jeeves]].
    I use [[http://www.altavista.com][Alta Vista search][][not really]].

might be exported as

    I use [Yahoo search].
    I use [Google search] [1].
    I use [Ask search] [2].
    I use [Alta Vista search].

    [Yahoo search]: http://www.yahoo.com
    [1]: http://www.google.com
    [2]: http://www.ask.com    "formerly Ask Jeeves"
    [Alta Vista search]: http://www.altavista.com    "not really"

I could also imagine that reference-style links might be exported
differently in org-export-as-html as well-- they would still be
functioning hyperlinks at the point where they were inserted, but they
could automatically be gathered into a list of links at the bottom of
the html file, as is common in many tech articles.

> This is going on my list of things to remember, but I don't know yet
> if/when I will get to this.

Like I said, this one is in the "would be nice to have" category for me,
too.  I'm definitely not missing it in my day-to-day use of org.

Thanks,
/au