emacs-diffs

Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r112522: * lisp/progmodes/ruby-mo

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r112522: * lisp/progmodes/ruby-mode.el: First cut at SMIE support.
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 21:24:11 -0400

>> I guess that sounds more like enriched-mode than htmlfontify-buffer.
> Sounds interesting. That would take some work to implement, I suppose.

Yes.

> Having ruby.rb indented according to the default settings and test any
> alternative settings via ERT sounds fine, except we now have two indentation
> engines, after all, and ideally we'd like to test all indentation cases in
> both of them, automatically.

No, there is only one correct indentation and both engines should find it.
Also only one engine is important at any given time (if/when the SMIE
code becomes good enough, it will make the other one obsolete).

> How about having one big test in ruby-mode-tests.el that would load
> test/indent/ruby.rb and do the reindent-and-compare thing that is currently
> performed via make?

I don't see any problem with that.

> For bonus points, we could delineate test.rb with comments in some special
> way, so that we can have multiple tests "coexist" in it (by being able to
> refer and test just one part).

FWIW, the need for such things will largely depend on how configurable
the indentation is.  For cc-mode's hellish configurability there's
probably a need for something serious, but for most modes I didn't find
much need for such details.  In many other cases you can get away with
just setting the indentation vars to "unusual values" in the file-local
vars so that it's obvious enough whether that value is obeyed.

        Stefan