emacs-diffs

Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r112148: Added eshell-tramp modul

From: Aidan Gauland
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r112148: Added eshell-tramp module
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 21:18:55 +1300

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> So IIUC the way it's enabled is by loading the package and then calling
> eshell-tramp-initialize.

I think the modules' `initialize' functions are called by whatever part
of Eshell loads the modules, but I'm not certain.  This is one of the
yet-to-be-documented parts of Eshell.

> This said, IIUC just loading eshell-tramp.el will also enable it (tho
> not "completely").  That's a problem (and yes, this is not a new
> problem, it's just a problem in most/all eshell modules).

Yes, if the feature `em-tramp' is loaded but the module is not enabled,
then it is just taking up memory and doing nothing.  And, yes, this is a
problem with Eshell modules in general, and ERC modules, from what I can
tell.  I really have no idea what a better solution would be.

(I CC'd this message to emacs-devel, because it seems more general now
and less about one particular commit.)

--Aidan