emacs-diffs

Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r104510: Expose window-tree funct

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r104510: Expose window-tree functions in Elisp.
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 12:06:14 -0300

>>> +DEFUN ("window-vchild", Fwindow_vchild, Swindow_vchild, 0, 1, 0,
>>> +       doc: /* Return WINDOW's first vertical child window.
>>> +WINDOW can be any window and defaults to the selected one.
>>> +Return nil if WINDOW has no vertical child.  */)
>>
>> Could you try to change this docstring so that, additionally to
>> "vertical" it mentions some other word that can clarify what is meant.
>> E.g. "top" or "bottom".
> Maybe we should call these `window-top-child' (`window-left-child') in

Sounds good.

> the first place and change the structure members in window.h as well?

It's not terribly important to change the C side of the
code accordingly.  Maybe it's more important to minimize the changes on
the C code.  So for now we can keep the old names in C.

>> Also, window-next is a poor choice since we already have next-window
>> (and the docstring only talks about "right", so is there no equivalent
>> for vertically-stacked windows?).

> As the vchild/hchild functions above these are mostly about traversing
> the (window-) tree `window-left-sibling' and `window-right-sibling'
> would be probably more appropriate.  OTOH "next" and "prev" seem more
> neutral in the sense that they coincide with the layout of such windows
> on the screen regardless of whether they are stacked horizontally or
> vertically.

Hmm.. so the docstring should avoid talking about "right" if it's not
really about left/right and top/bottom, and the names should probably
"window-next-sibling" and "window-prev-sibling".

        Stefan