Re: Bootstrap/autoload policy (was Re: regular expressions that match no

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: Bootstrap/autoload policy (was Re: regular expressions that match nothing)
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 17:06:46 +0200

22 maj 2019 kl. 16.24 skrev Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>:

> Hmm... the bootstrap is a funny beast and we additionally impose extra
> constraints to try and catch some bugs so... without seeing the error's
> backtrace I don't think I can say much more at this point.

There was no backtrace, but you should be able to reproduce by removing the
(require 'cl-extra) from rx.el and bootstrap.
I traced it manually thus (in call order):

loadup.el: (load "emacs-lisp/cl-generic")
cl-generic.el: toplevel: (cl--generic-prefill-dispatchers 0 (head eql))
cl-generic.el: cl--generic-prefill-dispatchers: call cl--generic-get-dispatcher
cl-generic.el: cl--generic-get-dispatcher: call byte-compile
bytecomp.el: (require 'compile)
compile.el: (defvar compilation-error-regexp-alist-alist ... (rx...))
rx.el: call cl-every from call to rx-to-string
Eager macro-expansion failure: (void-function cl-every)