Re: [OFFTOPIC] size of issue tracker

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: [OFFTOPIC] size of issue tracker
Date: Sun, 19 May 2019 22:34:06 +0300

> I was just skimming through the thread and read about your wish for
> an issue tracker in git. I recently stumbled across
> https://github.com/MichaelMure/git-bug
> which is GPL Licensed and might be of interest.

Using Git to provide offline access is a nice feature, but I don't
understand why all data should be encoded in an internal format and
access to it to be hidden behind an indirection layer of command line
interface?  Why not to use plain text files?

For example, M-x report-emacs-bug could create a new Org file whose name
contains the current timestamp and a slugified summary, in a directory
of Org files, e.g. "issues/20190519_create_better_issue_tracker.org".
All metadata (like description, status, severity, tags, etc.)
could be added to the beginning of each Org file using Org keywords.
A list of issues is accessible by Dired, search using Rgrep, comments
organized in Wiki-like discussions, and archived issues moved
to the subdirectory "archived/".