Omitting "Maintainer:" (was: Robert J. Chasell reference ...)

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Omitting "Maintainer:" (was: Robert J. Chasell reference ...)
Date: Sun, 19 May 2019 09:32:43 -0700

Richard Stallman wrote:

Listing bug-texinfo as maintainer is not useful since I am struggling
to find someone eo maintain Texinfo.  Sad to say, the only thing we
can do is list no maintainer for texinfmt.el.

Easy to do, though we list bug-reporting addresses elsewhere too. For example, "Maintainer: address@hidden" also appears in lisp/textmodes/texnfo-upd.el.

Come to think of it, the "Maintainer:" comments are no longer worth the effort of keeping them up-to-date, now that we have a version-control system that keeps track of authors and committers automatically. For example, all 327 instances of "Maintainer: address@hidden" in the source code are useless, and the remaining "Maintainer:" instances are easily (and more-accurately) determined from the commit logs. If we had removed "Maintainer:" comments before now, that would have saved me work here, and removing these comments now will save us work in the future, all things considered. Proposed patch attached.

Aside from that, please change "passed away" to "died".
As a founding member of the anti-euphemism league, I must insist.

I removed that sentence in the master branch, as the exact date of death doesn't matter to the manual, and put in (1946--2017) after his name to briefly indicate that Bob's no longer with us.