Re: Towards a cleaner build

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Towards a cleaner build
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 08:33:36 -0400

> This makes sense, but it should come for free. There's never any point
> in issuing a warning about not using the advertised calling convention
> from inside the function itself. Similarly, we shouldn't issue
> warnings about calls to obsolete functions from bodies of functions
> that are themselves obsolete.

I generally agree, but there's a tension: this kind of reasoning can be
pushed pretty far and the amount of coding involved can be hard to
justify.  So there's also something to be said for leaving the
implementation dumb and asking the coder to add a few more
with-(no|fewer|suppressed)-warnings.

IOW whether it's worth the effort depends on the amount of complexity
needed in the compiler and the number of false-positives it eliminates
(and potentially the number of false-negatives it adds, tho this is
rarely a problem).

        Stefan