Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 23:12:08 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> I wonder if I'm the only one here who feels that way.  I mean, one of
> the more important advantages of Emacs is that it lets you do many
> things only tangentially related to editing program sources, and now
> we suddenly are willing to give that up?  Really??

No, you are not the only one that feels that way. Me too. And Alan...

It is possible to use Emacs to write text areas on web pages with an
extension. You enter the text area and with a key combination (1)
emacsclient is invoked. Those of us that are mouse-averse can use
extensions that make possible to click links, buttons, etc using the
keyboard, it is much more efficient than the mouse. There are more
possibilities to make the web less painful, it is just a matter of
installing two or three extensions and that takes no time if someone (2)
points you to the right place.

That said, the browser experience still lacks conveniences that we take
for granted, but also brings possibilities that are far from trivial to
implement on a pure Emacs UI, not to mention the backend
infraestructure. All things considered, for me, personally, is just
bearable. However, there is no doubt that nowadays there is no doubt
that a web-based UI is far more friendly and welcoming than something
like debbugs. This is something that we should put on the balance.

1. I seem to recall that there are extensions that does the thing
automatically, either inconditionally or depending on certain
conditions.

2. Me, for example.