Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 15:21:59 +0300

> From: 조성빈 <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 19:37:31 +0900
> Cc: Toon Claes <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>  address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> > Note how you again start from a change, not from a report of some
> > issue/bug.  As Emacs is a very old and stable project, most of our
> > changes fix bugs, not add new features.  Therefore, use cases that
> > begin with issues are much more important to the workflow and to
> > assessing the utility of the tools.
>
> Any contributor can freely submit a pull request that has the word `Fixes
> #(Issue number)` and when the pull request is accepted, the issue is
> automatically closed.

My point was that an absolute majority of Emacs issues don't have a
patch attached.  They describe a problem, and most of the reports
don't even include a detailed analysis of the problem and its root
cause.  A large part of discussing an issue is devoted to
understanding the issue and then finding its cause.  Patches appear
only after all that.

So we must have a good support for a workflow that doesn't include any
pull/merge request at its beginning, maybe even never.

> >> Exaggerated in which sense?
> >
> > In the sense of representing various aspects of the current flow as
> > abysmally inadequate, and the proposed solutions as no less than a
> > panacea.
>
> Both workflows are inadequate

Not really relevant to the question and the answer.

> and overly complicated, but most people will be more familiar to the Gitlab
> Pull request workflow, and greatly lowers the bar for people who would like
> to contribute for the first time.

Please don't forget that any change should also not unduly _raise_ the
bar for the current core team, to be acceptable.

> > Personally, I think an Emacs client is almost a must, if we want to
> > consider something like GitLab seriously.
>
> There are many Emacs clients that tightly integrates with magit; I assume you
> use magit for managing git repos?
>
> The best one IMO is the official (magit) one:
> Release: https://emacsair.me/2018/12/19/forge-0.1/
> Manula: https://magit.vc/manual/forge/
> Repo: https://github.com/magit/forge

It sounds like you are advocating the adoption of a system other than
GitLab.  If so, I think we should first decide that GitLab is not good
enough, something I believe we didn't decide yet.

> It works with Github and Gitlab, and semi-supports Gitea and other forges.

If by "it" you mean forge, would you please describe how it would be
used in the Emacs maintenance workflows?  (Having to install magit is
a certain disadvantage, but it isn't by itself enough to make this
alternative unacceptable, IMO.)