Re: Renaming non-X x_* procedures in xdisp.c (and elsewhere)

From: Alex
Subject: Re: Renaming non-X x_* procedures in xdisp.c (and elsewhere)
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 12:55:26 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Alex <address@hidden>
>> Cc: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
>> Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 11:39:49 -0600
>>
>> > As a rule of thumb that is 99% true, everything in xdisp.c is generic,
>> > i.e. independent of the terminal-specific implementation.  The
>> > terminal-dependent stuff is in xterm.c/xfns.c (for X),
>> > w32term.c/w32fns.c (for w32), nsterm.m/nsfns.m (for NS), and term.c
>> > (for TTY).
>>
>> Which the naming scheme should reflect, IMO. This includes the presence
>> of x_* procedures in the NS/W32 code that Stefan mentioned.
>
> But what you propose in the patch stops short of that goal, it just
> renames the functions that are explicitly called from xdisp.c.  It
> doesn't rename x_* functions in files unrelated to X.  I'm not sure
> this partial renaming is worth the trouble.

It can be considered as just a step towards that goal. As I mentioned, I
don't see why all the work has to happen at the same time. IMO the RIF
x_* and the multiply-defined x_* are separate, even if related, issues;
the RIF x_* being much easier to solve (as demonstrated).

If you're referring to another class of x_* procedures to be renamed,
then those can be done in a later commit.

>> P.S. Should x_clear_window_mouse_face instead be renamed to
>> clear_window_mouse_face since it doesn't depend on HAVE_WINDOW_SYSTEM
>> like the others do?
>
> It does depend on the window-system, albeit somewhat subtly: it is
> only invoked for some terminal types.

If it's not invoked for non-GUI Emacs, then the gui_* prefix would
indeed be appropriate.