Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 12:16:56 +0200

> Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 13:01:58 +0300
> From: Konstantin Kharlamov <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> FTR, I think one reason that not many people are doing review is the
> requirement for patches to be sent to bugtracker. Besides being just
> confusing (obviously, it's a hack to work around lack of patch-tracking
> system on emacs-devel), this conflicts with the fact, that contributors
> are more likely to be subscribed to devel list rather than to
> bugtracker.
>
> For example, I'm not subscribed to bugtracker because I don't know
> Emacs internals to give any useful comment for bugs. But at least for
> *.c file changes I could help a bit with review if I saw something on
> ML.

You don't need to be subscribed to bug-gnu-emacs mailing list
(although if you are interested in helping the development, I would
recommend subscribing).  You can instead point your Web browser to
https://debbugs.gnu.org/ and use the various filtering options there.
Or you could use the debbugs package in ELPA to do that.

In addition, there's the emacs-diffs mailing list, where you can see
the commits going in.

Finally, being subscribed to the bug list doesn't mean you should feel
obligated to respond to reports where you have nothing useful to say.
You can respond only to messages of your choice, and disregard the
rest.

> If you (not you personally, but Emacs developers) are trying to use
> mailing list workflow, you might want to copy some parts of it from
> other projects, such as Mesa drivers. Ignoring for a second the fact
> that Mesa partially moved to gitlab, for ML part they used α)
> patchwork site to keep track of patches on mesa-devel, and β)
> bugtracker notifications go to mesa-devel ML, so
> contributors/developers see them.

The emacs-devel mailing list is too high-volume to add the bug traffic
to it.  We currently have an average of about 40 to 50 messages per
day; adding the bugs will almost double that, and prevent people who
are not interested in bugs to be involved in the development
discussions.  having two lists means each one can decide whether they
want to see both streams or just one.

> And while on it, a few weeks ago I sent 2 patches to bugtrackers, and I
> got a notification for each of them. I'm horrified to imagine what I
> gonna see if I send a series of 20 patches.

There's no requirement in Emacs development to send patches in series,
you can send a single patch for the entire changeset.  then you will
get only one notification.