Re: [ELPA] New package: disk-usage

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: disk-usage
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2019 11:28:38 +0100

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Pierre,

> I've pushed your suggestions.

Thanks.

> - Regarding the TRAMP issue, I fail to test with "/sudo::", probably because
>   `find/du` cannot run there.  Let me know if it works for you on
> remote machines.

I did need to apply further changes to let it run sufficiently on /sudo::

* In disk-usage--list-recursively, the (concat (file-remote-p ...) trick
  must be applied earlier.

* In disk-usage--list-recursively and disk-usage--list I needed to adapt
  the directory-files-and-attributes call; otherwise also /. and
  /.. would be reported.

If the remote case still doesn't work for you, set tramp-verbose to 6,
and rerun the test. Show the resulting Tramp debug buffer.

> - Regarding the optimization, local tests show no difference.  Let me know if
>   you notice a significant improvement remotely.

I have no figures, but it feels faster.

One other point worth to fix: Pls don't run
disk-usage-toggle-recursive globally. It shall affect only the current
buffer; I don't want to have a recursive disk-usage report for every
remote directory. It takes too much time.

> Cheers!

Best regards, Michael.