Re: [ELPA] New package: disk-usage

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: disk-usage
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2019 15:24:04 -0500

> Purcell argues that Stefan should not have used `eval-when-compile' for
> `cl-lib`:

> (eval-when-compile (require 'cl-lib))
>
> because `cl-first' is used in some places.
>
> I'd tend to agree with Purcell.  Thoughts?

If you use #'cl-first then you definitely need to remove the
eval-when-compile, indeed.

But if you have direct calls to cl-first, then they will be compiled
into byte-code which do not refer to `cl-first` any more (IOW the
cl-first definition has been inlined by the compiler).
Hence your code should still work with eval-when-compile.
[ Yes: the exact conditions under which a library can be `require`d
  inside `eval-when-compile` can be pretty subtle.  ]

I used eval-when-compile because it seemed to work, but feel free to
change it, whether for technical reasons or just out of
personal preference.

        Stefan