Re: modern regexes in emacs

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: modern regexes in emacs
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2019 20:46:52 -0500

On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 16:34:57 -0800 Jay Kamat <address@hidden>
wrote:
> On February 15, 2019 3:33:17 PM PST, "Perry E. Metzger"
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >Look, the old syntax was replaced by the Unix people in the early
> >1980s because it was garbage. Everyone uses the new syntax, and
> >everyone is used to it. Sure, new doesn't always mean better, but
> >in this case, yes, the newer regex syntax is a whole lot better,
> >not to mention that it's what everyone on earth is used to.
>
> I started using Emacs less than 4 years ago (so I could probably
> consider myself a 'modern user'), and I honestly find the new
> syntax much more confusing.

Other people get to pick what they want, too.

Eli has proposed an entirely reasonable solution where you can pick
the ancient syntax or the modern one. You can still use the old
syntax, but people who want the syntax Perl and Ruby and Python and
Awk and pretty much every other programming language uses can get it
if they opt in.

If you don't want to let other people get the option of using
the modern syntax, that's not demanding the right to use the old one,
which won't be taken from you, that's demanding the right to keep
other people from using the reasonable modern syntax. I think that's
unreasonable.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden